Thursday, February 17, 2011

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions


“I have quitted all forms of devotion and set prayers but those to which my state obliges me. And i make it my business only to persevere in His holy presence, wherein i keep myself by a simple attention, and a general fond regard to God... which often causes me joys and raptures inwardly, and sometimes also outwardly, so great, that i am forced to use means to moderate them, and prevent their appearance to others. ... At other times, when i apply myself to prayer, i feel all my spirit and all my soul lift itself up without any care or effort of mine, and it continues as it were suspended and firmly fixed in GOD, as in its centre and place of rest.”

Brother Lawrence, The Practice of the Presence of God: The Best Rule of a Holy Life (New York: Flemming H. Revell Co., 1895) 25-26

No comments:

Post a Comment