Thursday, August 12, 2010

God's stamp of approval

Last week Joseph and I had lunch in Atlanta with a new friend. We were just hanging out, getting to know each other over lunch. After that we went to little 5 points, which is known for being a more “spiritual” area. There’s a bunch of unique shops, from coffee to tattoo. I even found a little hookah store! 
Some of the students from the ministry school i go to, have an outreach there each week, going into the different shops, starting up conversations and blessing the locals. It’s a very creative area, maybe not too every ones taste if you know what i mean...
Joseph had something that he wanted to talk to one of the shops owners about and that’s where we went. This guy had the emo look with a ton of rings (some of you reading this may know him). His store had everything from a black cat, some live bunnies, Christian crosses to hindu deities. 
We walked around and i was quiet surprised at how connected i felt with God in there. From what i was taught in Church we’re supposed to stay away from places like that. “It’s dangerous” to go there... My thoughts: they’re just people, and they are so hungry for true love! 
I was just starting to enjoy being there and releasing the Kingdom when Joseph picked up a little box - to buy. Everything inside of me went all crazy. “Don’t buy that, it will give a demon an open door into your soul” - that’s what i was thinking. And then almost as if Pappa took my head in His hands tilting it up and down, i found myself thinking... “this guy, that looks like he is from the dark side, is now going to experience the love of God through a Christian buying something from him that carries a lot of worth.” Does that make sense? Think about what is most precious to you. Now imagine God, who you previously thought to be quiet distant and disappointed in your line of work, coming into your store and buying that thing that is so precious to you. Wouldn’t that just melt your heart? God, Love, just came to me, and told me that what i do, what i have, is important to Him. That would rock my world right there. I matter to God. 
I was pleasantly surprised at the turn of events and i’ll finish with a quote along the same lines... 
“All of creation begins and ends with the Father longing for relationship with you as His beloved child. He created you to live your life as if you have a home. Did you wake up this morning and hear the loving voice of your Father say, “Don’t worry that you don’t have everything together; it’s OK. I don’t expect you to get it perfect. I love you so much just the way you are. You are the son/daughter i love and in whom i am well pleased”?
Or did you get up thinking, Nobody loves me. Nobody cares about me. I’ve got to have devotions today, and pray enough, and get my three Bible chapters a day in, and do all the right Christian stuff, just so i can get a crumb from the Master’s table today? You will treat yourself and others according to the way you think God feels about you. If you know you are loved unconditionally, you will love yourself and others with the same kind of love. But if you feel you have to perform in order to be of value to God, then you will portray the thought to others that they need to perform in order to be of value to you. Either you live your life as if you have a home, or you live your life as if you don’t have a home. Fear... or Father’s embrace!”
(Spiritual Slavery to Spiritual Sonship, Jack Frost, P26,27)

No comments:

Post a Comment